UFCW members worked on elections in 22 states, contacted more than 400,000 voters, and helped to ensure some election outcomes across the country that were good for hard-working UFCW members and their families. Here are a few of our Election Day wins:
- We quadrupled the number of women of color in the Senate – electing Kamala Harris of California; Tammy Duckworth of Illinois; and Catherine Cortez-Masto of Nevada.
- We elected the first Indian-American woman to Congress. Pramila Jayapal will represent Washington’s 7th Congressional District.
- We passed ballot measures in Arizona and Washington that will raise the minimum wage and provide every worker with paid sick leave.
- We raised the minimum wage in Colorado and Maine.
- We expanded access to medical marijuana in Florida, Arkansas, Montana and North Dakota, and legalized recreational marijuana in Massachusetts, Nevada, California and Maine.
- We defeated Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona.
- We took control of the New Mexico House of Representatives and flipped both Nevada state legislative chambers.
- And last, but not least, our very own Brigid Kelly was elected to the Ohio State Legislature.